Position Title: Formation Director
Reports To: Executive Director, Xaverian Brothers Sponsored Schools
Effective Date: July 1, 2024
Position Status: Exempt: Full-Time
About The Network
The Xaverian Brothers Sponsored Schools (XBSS) are a network of 13 Roman Catholic schools sharing a common mission and a similar governance structure. Educating more than 11,700 students annually, most of the schools trace their origin directly to the Congregation of the Brothers of St. Francis Xavier. While the majority were Xaverian Brothers staffed and sponsored from inception, some schools were added to the network in response to specific requests and in conjunction with the Brothers’ deep sense of mission for strengthening Catholic education. Xaverian Brothers Sponsored Schools vary in size and in the socio-economic demographics they serve. Some are located in affluent communities and others in low-income neighborhoods with large minority representation. This diversity is considered a source of strength and distinction within the XBSS network.
The vision of a Xaverian Brothers Sponsored School originates in the charism of the Congregation and is faithful to the tradition of Xaverian Education. At their core, each school strives to answer the following calls:
- The call to embrace our Catholic identity and Xaverian charism as partners in the church’s mission of evangelization within its ministry of education.
- The call to a spirituality, flowing from a contemplative stance, which is formed by God’s presence in the common, ordinary, unspectacular flow of everyday life.
- The call to be formed in the spiritual values of simplicity, humility, compassion, zeal, and trust.
- The call for a challenging academic and cocurricular program that promotes the development of the whole person and their unique giftedness.
- The call to recognize our Christian responsibility to work for justice and peace by responding to the needs of others.
- The call to build diverse and inclusive communities that encourage enduring personal relationships through an understanding of culture and perspectives.
The Formation Director will play a key leadership role within the sponsorship office, assisting the Executive Director with articulating and perpetuating the mission, vision, and philosophy of the Xaverian Brother Sponsored Schools as defined in the network’s Foundational Documents and further articulated in Partners in Mission: Understanding the Xaverian Way. In close partnership with the Executive Director, the Formation Director will be responsible for the development, recruitment, organization, and implementation of retreats and faith formation programming for XBSS stakeholders, assisting them in their spiritual and personal growth and instilling a commitment to the values and charism of a Xaverian education.
Additionally, the Formation Director will assist the Xaverian Brothers Generalate in providing formational programing and resources to the Xaverian Associates in all of their regions.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- To organize, develop, and guide programing directed at faith formation, spiritual growth, and a commitment to the mission of XBSS
- Working in conjunction with the Executive Director, the Formation Director will assume a leadership role in the delivery of network wide programming which provides formation and support for new and established faculty, board members, and students (XBSS Student Retreat, New Teacher Retreat, Experienced Teacher Retreat, etc.)
- Through regular travel, maintain and build enduring relationships with our network of schools, particularly with chief administrators, campus ministry, faith formation, and theology department staff
- Assist appropriate school staff to identify ongoing plans and opportunities for the education of students and adults to the essential elements of a Xaverian Education
- When appropriate, help schools acquire formation resources within their established settings and ministries (Speakers, curriculum, webinar based professional development, etc.)
- Work collaboratively with the Regional Coordinators of the Xaverian Associates Program to provide formational programing, resources, and networking opportunities for the Xaverian Associates in each of their regions
- Assist the Xaverian Brother’s Generalate Staff in planning and executing community-wide formation activities and prayer services
- Network with colleges/universities and other, identified non-profits to leverage resources and talent that can support the work and mission of XBSS
- Lead the network’s Mission Effectiveness Review Process
- Assist the Executive Director with communications and coordinated marketing and branding efforts on behalf of the XBSS network
- Assist the Executive Director with the execution of the Sponsorship Office Strategic Plan
- Perform other responsibilities and duties as assigned by the supervisor
Knowledge / Skills and Abilities Required
The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability, or physical demands required.
- Faith filled Catholic with a Christ-centered approach towards all people
- Familiarity with Catholic K-12 education
- Creativity, flexibility, joy, and zeal in guiding religious formation and evangelizing people at all stages of faith development
- Exhibit excellent interpersonal, communication, organization, public speaking, and presentation skills
- Ability to organize and implement large, program-wide events
- Must be willing to travel and have flexibility in work hours
- A commitment to ongoing professional education and formation
- Ability to inspire and work with diverse stakeholders; possess the foresight to adapt presentation styles and messaging depending upon the audience
- Demonstrated self-starter with ability to work independently, set schedules, prioritize tasks, and work with others in a team setting
- Demonstrated experience in creating new programs to support the mission and vision of an organization
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred. Study in Theology or Religious Education (or equivalent) preferred
- Previous experience or involvement in Catholic school campus ministry, retreat coordination, and faith formation events or other equivalent experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Working knowledge of social media, multi-media editing (preferred), Microsoft Office, Outlook, and Excel.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted through Friday, January 26, 2024. Interested candidates should submit the following materials:
- Cover letter expressing interest in the Formation Director position with XBSS
- Current resume
- List of three references, including name, phone number, and email address of each (References will not be contacted until a serious mutual interest is established and not without the candidate’s permission)
(Hybrid and/or Remote Work Negotiable)
Please email all materials, as one PDF, to Patrick Slattery:
Patrick Slattery, Ed.D
Executive Director, XBSS
If within 24 hours of submission of materials you do not receive an email acknowledgment of materials submitted, please call the XBSS Office at 443-939-0124 to inquire about the status of application materials.