A Farewell to Temple Street – Saint John’s High School
Alumni and friends gathered to honor the school's Worcester roots.
On Saturday, June 24, 2017, the Saint John's community visited its original home on Temple Street in Worcester.
With the imminent razing of the old Saint John’s High School building on Temple Street, the school and Alumni Association hosted a ceremony with alumni, locals, and leaders in the Worcester community. Msgr. Francis Scollen ‘63 celebrated a morning Mass at St. John’s Church on Temple Street. Col. A. Russell Pytko, from the class of 1944, was the oldest alumnus in attendance. Mike Principe '61 offered a reflection on his days as a student and being a part of the undeniable Pioneer tradition.
Brother Paul Feeney, C.F.X., told his story that began as a young Brother on that very spot. Back then, he was a 23-year-old Brother known as Brother Antoninus, one of 12 Brothers on the faculty. In a eulogy for the building, Brother Paul reflected with his former students, colleagues, and friends, “what made that building across the street so vital were the teachers and the students who occupied it...When the school moved to 378 Main St. in 1962, the soul of the building lived on in them, and still lives on today, as vital and lively as ever.”
Alumnus and former Worcester mayor Timothy Cooney '58 reflected, “This is a new beginning for the city of Worcester. We’ve got the memories and we’ve got the bricks, and now they’ll make way for a better setup.”
Browse through the Temple Street Farewell photo album
Back to News